Re: Installing via pip under Win7 + virtualenv + VC++2008

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Stephen Lacy <slacy(at)slacy(dot)com>
Cc: psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Installing via pip under Win7 + virtualenv + VC++2008
Date: 2011-06-03 07:54:21
Lists: psycopg

On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Stephen Lacy <slacy(at)slacy(dot)com> wrote:

> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

the file _psycopg.pyd is a dll. For its relatively small size it is
probably dynamically linked to the libpq.dll. I think the system
either fails to find libpq.dll or some of the other dependencies (they
are listed in the setup.py).

I suggest you to use a tool to check its dll dependencies (maybe
http://www.dependencywalker.com/ could be ok) and see if there is
anything missing. If libpq.dll is the missing one, try putting it in a
PATH directory or in the psycopg2 package directory.

Jason, what is the default for building psycopg on windows: static or
dynamic libpq? Is there any default setting we may change to make
psycopg installable with pip/easy_install (if it currently fails - I
don't know).

-- Daniele