Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers

From: Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [BUGS] documentation bug - behave of NEW a OLD in plpgsql's triggers
Date: 2011-05-06 02:58:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-docs

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> That is, in fact, exactly the behavior you get if you declare a RECORD
> variable and set it to NULL.  If these variables were indeed not
> declared, you'd get a complaint about "new" not being a known variable.

Hrm, guess I learned something. I tested with a trigger function which used:
IF NEW IS NULL THEN
RAISE NOTICE 'new is null.';

which was giving me 'ERROR: record "new" is not assigned yet' when
used as an on-delete trigger. I am a little surprised that you can't
use IS NULL to test out a record-type variable which you've just
declared to be NULL, e.g. this function blows up:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_trg() RETURNS TRIGGER AS $$
DECLARE SOMEVAR record;
BEGIN
SOMEVAR := NULL;
IF SOMEVAR IS NULL THEN