Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Documentation and explanatory diagrams
Date: 2011-06-13 21:17:04
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 13 June 2011 20:59, Ross J. Reedstrom <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 06:36:12PM +0000, Thom Brown wrote:
>> On 13 June 2011 14:35, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> > I just created a drawing, saved it, then
>> > modified it a bit.  The spurious diff from the GUI was quite small:  three
>> > lines of junk with the filename change and some windowing metadata.  And the
>> > new material added showed in a pretty readable diff as I would hope too.
>> >  Original file and diff attached as samples.
>>
>> It appears you've saved it in the Inkscape SVG format as it uses
>> Inkscape markup.  It's probably better to save it as a plain SVG since
>> other editors may remove the Inkscape-specific markup anyway.
>>
>> I just did a quick test drawing a squiggly line in Inkscape, saved it
>> in both formats.  The Inkscape SVG takes up 60 lines, the plain one is
>> 35.  I opened both in LibreOffice and exported them back to new SVG
>> files and the file lengths were further reduced, although both outputs
>> were identical to one another (the Inkscape format
>> LibreOffice-converted file identical to the plain format
>> LibreOffice-converted file).  But this time it removed all line breaks
>> and became one continuous line of markup.  So that would be disastrous
>> from a delta point of view.
>
> It's fairly easy to put those back in w/ xmllint --format. Thom, what do
> you get for:
>
> xmllint --format for_test_here.svg | wc -l

That restores some of the newlines, but inkscape seems to place tag
attributes on their own separate lines for readability, so the outputs
still differ, unless you pass both through that same process.
Comparing two processed outputs still reveals a difference, such as a
comment in the original saying "Created with Inkscape..." and some
attributes not preserved by LibreOffice, including namespaces Inkscape
uses that LibreOffice doesn't.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion