May Newsletter

From: Brian Pottberg <brianp(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: diapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: May Newsletter
Date: 2011-05-19 22:10:40
Lists: denpug

PostGIS adds support for geographic objects to the
PostgreSQL<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=c449e750cb&e=ab8cfbfc94>object-relational
database.
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your
browser<http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=4059b8dba5&e=ab8cfbfc94>.

PostGIS

PostGIS adds support for geographic objects to the
PostgreSQL<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=bdbfa7f05d&e=ab8cfbfc94>object-relational
database. In effect, PostGIS "spatially enables" the
PostgreSQL server, allowing it to be used as a backend spatial database for
geographic information systems (GIS), much like ESRI's SDE or Oracle's
Spatial extension. PostGIS follows the
OpenGIS<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=17c91874c6&e=ab8cfbfc94>"Simple
Features Specification for
SQL<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=174beca942&e=ab8cfbfc94>"
and has been certified as compliant with the "Types and Functions" profile.
PostGIS has been developed by Refractions
Research<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=a6357638c2&e=ab8cfbfc94>as
a project in open
source<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=2432d8ed5c&e=ab8cfbfc94>spatial
database technology. PostGIS is released under the GNU
General Public License<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=10c3066b56&e=ab8cfbfc94>.
PostGIS continues to develop and has added user interface
tools<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=980fd78a17&e=ab8cfbfc94>,
basic topology support, data validation, coordinate transformation,
programming APIs and much more. For future projects it will include full
topology support, raster support, networks and routing, three dimensional
surfaces, curves and splines and other features.

For even more info. on PostGIS check out the full presentation below.

- PostGIS<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=cfec40fd23&e=ab8cfbfc94>

This was last month's previous topic for the Denver Postgresql User's
Group. It was hosted at the Consistent State head office and the
presentation was given by our own Brian Fehrle. We meet on the second
Wednesday of every month to discuss new Postgresql related topics.

For even more info. on Hot Standby check out the full presentation below.

Hot Standby<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=11289eb958&e=ab8cfbfc94>
Consistent State We are a PostgreSQL Professional Services organization.
We offer PostgreSQL Consulting Services, as well as a variety of customized
services. We’ve been around since 1998 and our founder has over 20 years of
experience in the industry. We have a core group of Professional PostgreSQL
DBA’s that can perform any tasks needed per managing your PostgreSQL
database servers. Consistent State leverages our team’s decades of database
& software development experience to provide our clients with practical &
affordable database solutions.

Please visit our company website at
www.consistentstate.com<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=4a5ac55178&e=ab8cfbfc94>for
more information.
Database servers can work together to allow a second server to take over
quickly if the primary server fails (high availability), or to allow several
computers to serve the same data (load balancing).

For even more info. on High Availability check out the full presentation
below.
High Availability Methods
<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=ff284399ef&e=ab8cfbfc94>
DENPUG The Denver PostgreSQL User's Group is dedicated to raising
awareness in the community about PostgreSQL. We meet on the second
Wednesday of every month at the consistent state home office. We have
speakers and presentations for various database related topics as well as
group discussions.

For more information and directions please visit our user's group website
www.diapug.org<http://consistentstate.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=66952c46a9&e=ab8cfbfc94>and
sign up for our mailing list today!
follow on Twitter
<http://Twitter+Account+not+yet+Authorized> | friend
on Facebook <#1300a3071e4a5f6a_> | forward to a
friend<http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=4059b8dba5&e=ab8cfbfc94>

*Copyright © 2011 Consistent State, All rights reserved.*
You Received this because you signed up for the diapug email list
*Our mailing address is:*
Consistent State
5660 Greenwood Plaza Blvd Ste 138
Greenwood Village, -CO -80111