CS Newsletter April edition

From: Brian Pottberg <brianp(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
To: diapug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CS Newsletter April edition
Date: 2011-04-25 17:38:46
Lists: denpug

Database servers can work together to allow a second server to take
over quickly if the primary server fails (high availability), or to allow
several computers to serve the same data (load balancing).
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your
browser<http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=6a64cd8b40&e=>.

High Availability and Load Balancing

Database servers can work together to allow a second server to take over
quickly if the primary server fails (high availability), or to allow several
computers to serve the same data (load balancing). Ideally, database servers
could work together seamlessly. Web servers serving static web pages can be
combined quite easily by merely load-balancing web requests to multiple
machines. In fact, read-only database servers can be combined relatively
easily too. Unfortunately, most database servers have a read/write mix of
requests, and read/write servers are much harder to combine. This is because
though read-only data needs to be placed on each server only once, a write
to any server has to be propagated to all servers so that future read
requests to those servers return consistent results. This synchronization
problem is the fundamental difficulty for servers working together. Because
there is no single solution that eliminates the impact of the sync problem
for all use cases, there are multiple solutions.

For even more info. on High Availability check out the full presentation
below.

- High Availability Methods
<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/520025803bd284614b15006c8/files/postgres_ha_methods.1.odp>

DENPUG The Denver PostgreSQL User's Group is dedicated to raising
awareness in the community about PostgreSQL. We meet on the second
Wednesday of every month at the consistent state home office. We have
speakers and presentations for various database related topics as well as
group discussions.

For more information and directions please visit our user's group website
www.diapug.org and sign up for our mailing list today!
Consistent State We are a PostgreSQL Professional Services
organization. We offer PostgreSQL Consulting Services, as well as a variety
of customized services. We’ve been around since 1998 and our founder has
over 20 years of experience in the industry. We have a core group of
Professional PostgreSQL DBA’s that can perform any tasks needed per managing
your PostgreSQL database servers. Consistent State leverages our team’s
decades of database & software development experience to provide our clients
with practical & affordable database solutions.

Please visit our company website at www.consistentstate.com for more
information.
Consistent State News *New services coming soon!
**"Free Mini Health Check Service"*
A 1-2 day engagement covering the basics of your database system
configuration, includes base recommendations.

* Recently Released Services:
**"Health Check Service"
*A 2 week engagement covering all the aspects of your database, includes
recommendations.
ConferencesPG EAST 2010 Kevin presents SLONY

*PG WEST 2010
*Kevin presents Backup and Recovery Methods

* PG EAST 2011
*Kevin presents HA (High Availability) Methods

Kevin presents Backup and Recovery Methods

This was last month's previous topic for the Denver Postgresql User's
Group. It was hosted at the Consistent State head office and the
presentation was given by our own Brian Fehrle. We meet on the second
Wednesday of every month to discuss new Postgresql related topics.

For even more info. on Hot Standby check out the full presentation below.

- Hot Standby<http://gallery.mailchimp.com/520025803bd284614b15006c8/files/Hot_Standby.odp>

follow on Twitter
<http://Twitter+Account+not+yet+Authorized> | friend
on Facebook <#12f8db7be893d3bd_> | forward to a
friend<http://us2.forward-to-friend1.com/forward?u=520025803bd284614b15006c8&id=6a64cd8b40&e=>

*Copyright © 2011 Consistent State, All rights reserved.*
You Received this because you signed up for the diapug email list
*Our mailing address is:*
Consistent State
5660 Greenwood Plaza Blvd Ste 138
Greenwood Village, -CO -80111