Re: On-the-fly index tuple deletion vs. hot_standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On-the-fly index tuple deletion vs. hot_standby
Date: 2011-06-16 15:53:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:02:47AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> > A standby's receipt of an XLOG_BTREE_REUSE_PAGE record implies that the
>> > accompanying latestRemovedXid preceded or equaled the master's RecentXmin at the
>> > time of issue (see _bt_page_recyclable()). ?Neither hot_standby_feedback nor
>> > vacuum_defer_cleanup_age affect RecentXmin. ?Therefore, neither facility delays
>> > conflicts arising directly from B-tree page reuse. ?See attached test script,
>> > which yields a snapshot conflict despite active hot_standby_feedback.
>>
>> OK, agreed. Bug. Good catch, Noah.
>>
>> Fix is to use RecentGlobalXmin for the cutoff when in Hot Standby
>> mode, so that it is under user control.
>>
>> Attached patch will be applied to head and backpatched to 9.1 and 9.0
>> to fix this.
>
> Thanks.  We still hit a conflict when btpo.xact == RecentGlobalXmin and the
> standby has a transaction older than any master transaction.  This happens
> because the tests at nbtpage.c:704 and procarray.c:1843 both pass when the xid
> exactly is that of the oldest standby transaction (line numbers as of git
> cb94db91b).  I only know this because the test script from my last message hits
> this case; it might never get hit in real usage.  Still, seems like a hole not
> worth leaving.  I think the most-correct fix is to TransactionIdRetreat the
> btpo.xact before using it as xl_btree_reuse_page.lastestRemovedXid.  btpo.xact
> is the first known-safe xid, but latestRemovedXid is the last known-unsafe xmin.

I think you are pointing out another bug, rather than a problem in my
last commit.

The bug was caused by assuming that the xid is a "latestRemovedXid",
as is the case in the rest of Hot Standby, which masks the off-by-one
error through poor use of terms.

I agree with your suggested fix.

Thanks again.

Attachment Content-Type Size
bt_recycle_offby1.v1.patch application/octet-stream 487 bytes