Re: Can I map "raise XXX" to some custom python exceptions?

From: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "W(dot) Matthew Wilson" <matt(at)tplus1(dot)com>
Cc: Dan Halbert <halbert(at)halwitz(dot)org>, psycopg(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I map "raise XXX" to some custom python exceptions?
Date: 2011-06-20 14:03:42
Lists: psycopg

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 6:45 PM, W. Matthew Wilson <matt(at)tplus1(dot)com> wrote:

> So, really, I want to be able raise specific exceptions within
> postgresql, and then define how those are converted to python objects.

It is an interesting use case. I've recently written a Postgres-based
program where I've used a specific sqlcode for the exceptions. It
would be nice having a mapping errcode->python exception instead of
using a pattern of catching and re-throwing.

However I suspect it wouldn't be a complete solution: still with my
specific example in mind, half of the exceptions are raised from
PL/pgSQL functions or triggers, where I have control over the errcode.
But other errors are generated by database-handled integrity
violations, so I don't see a way to generate an uniform errcode
throughout all the applications.

-- Daniele