Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Mike Ellsworth <younicycle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: rod(at)iol(dot)ie, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date: 2011-06-10 10:51:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Mike Ellsworth <younicycle(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie> wrote:

>>> Failing that, pretty much any major US stationary store carries A4 paper.
>>
>> You need to print on larger than the target size to have a bleed
>> (images/colour running to the edge of the page) and the paper is then
>> trimmed to size by the printer.
>>
>> Ray.
>
> yup.  I'm also curious about how it will be bound.  From what I can
> see, neither A4 nor Letter are ideal and won't give a magazine look.
> All that layout effort + print expense but in the end, you'll slam a
> staple in the upper left corner which is less than attractive/pro
> looking.
> To me, looks like the A4 should be set as A3 and the Ltr as Tabloid
> with 2 pages, side by side.  Duplex, center fold & stitch. Page layout
> would be:
> 1<->24....2<->23 [duplex]
> etc.
> center fold, center stitch, then trim a bit.
> Each 'magazine' would be 6 sheets of paper vs current 12 (if
> duplexed/backed up).
>
> Whoever uses it should print one (grayscale) and rethink before they
> spend money on full color printing.

The test copies I saw a few weeks back in Ottawa were done properly -
duplex printed, center folded and stitched/stapled (I don't recall if
they were printed full bleed, or if the design was such that it wasn't
required). All credit to Damien and his team, it did look very good
indeed.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com