Re: How to check a table content efficiently? With LIMIT and OFFSET?

From: Stefan Keller <sfkeller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to check a table content efficiently? With LIMIT and OFFSET?
Date: 2011-05-29 17:45:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Craig

Thanks for the answer. I also thought about this. You mean something like this?

SELECT reltuples FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'mytable';
182820 (rows)

That seams reasonably fast compared to count(*).

But I'm hesitating to use ANALYZE for two reasons:
1. It's very slow: it repeadly takes 59000 ms on my machine.
2. There's an autovacuum background process which already does the
job, doesn't it?

Yours, Stefan