JDBC4 Binary Mode with Arrays

From: bubba postgres <bubba(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JDBC4 Binary Mode with Arrays
Date: 2011-04-01 18:44:32
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Sorry for the cross post, I put this on general first:

In my current application I am sending a lot of data to/from the DB with
JDBC, and specifically arrays of Double. (or even Double[][]).
I have been converting everything into a string representation of the array
with StringBuffer, which eats a lot of memory.

I note that there is this web page:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/JDBC-BinaryTransfer

Which made me think I might be saved.

After trying out the JDBC4 driver in DBCP, I see that
Connection.createArray(...) still just creates a big string under the
covers. Is that the expected behavior? Am I doing it wrong?
Will the String get converted to binary representation again before hitting
the wire?

Regards,
-JD