Re: Core Extensions relocation

From: Vinicius Abrahao <vinnix(dot)bsd(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, matheus(dot)espanhol(at)dextra-sw(dot)com
Subject: Re: Core Extensions relocation
Date: 2011-06-09 15:14:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Greg, hello All,

This is my first post at Hackers, so sorry if I am been a noob here, but I
am pretty confused about
how to create the extension pg_buffercache.

First of all, I was trying to create using the old method by calling the
pg_buffercache--1.0.sql directly.
Then I discover the change that occurs recently to use CREATE EXTENSION, but
even now I am getting the weird error:

# select * from pg_available_extensions;
name | default_version | installed_version | comment
----------------+-----------------+-------------------+---------------------------------
plpgsql | 1.0 | 1.0 | PL/pgSQL
procedural language
pg_buffercache | 1.0 | | examine the
shared buffer cache
(2 rows)

postgres=# CREATE EXTENSION pg_buffercache SCHEMA pg_catalog;
ERROR: syntax error at or near "NO"

Right now, talking with some fellows at #postgresql they tell that the error
is NOT occurring for they.
This was about 9.1beta from git.

But even so, I need to ask, because my production is on another versions:

What is the right way to install this contrib at 9.0.1, 9.0.2 and 9.0.4 ?

Many thanks,

Best regards,
vinnix

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:

> Following up on the idea we've been exploring for making some extensions
> more prominent, attached is the first rev that I think may be worth
> considering seriously. Main improvement from the last is that I reorganized
> the docs to break out what I decided to tentatively name "Core Extensions"
> into their own chapter. No longer mixed in with the rest of the contrib
> modules, and I introduce them a bit differently. If you want to take a
> quick look at the new page, I copied it to
> http://www.2ndquadrant.us/docs/html/extensions.html
>
> I'm not completely happy on the wordering there yet. The use of both
> "modules" and "extensions" is probably worth eliminating, and maybe that
> continues on to doing that against the language I swiped from the contrib
> intro too. There's also a lot of shared text at the end there, common
> wording from that and the contrib page about how to install and migrate
> these extensions. Not sure how to refactor it out into another section
> cleanly though.
>
> Regression tests came up last time I posted this. Doesn't look like there
> are any for the modules I'm suggesting should be promoted. Only code issue
> I noticed during another self-review here is that I didn't rename
> contrib/pgrowlocks/pgrowlocks--unpackaged--1.0.sql cleanly, may need to do
> that one over again to get the commits as clean as possible.
>
> Updated code is at
> https://github.com/greg2ndQuadrant/postgres/tree/move-contrib too, and
> since this is painful as a patch the compare view at
> https://github.com/greg2ndQuadrant/postgres/compare/master...move-contribwill be easier for browsing the code changes.
>
> --
> Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com Baltimore, MD
> PostgreSQL Training, Services, and 24x7 Support www.2ndQuadrant.us
>

> --

Vinícius Abrahão Bazana Schmidt
Desenvolvimento
Dextra Sistemas
www.dextra.com.br
+55 19 3256-6722 Ramal 246

Este email é confidencial. Mais informações em:
This message is confidential. More information at:
www.dextra.com.br/confidencial.htm

--
vi[nnix]™
aka: Vinícius Abrahão Bazana Schmidt