Re: getting to beta

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting to beta
Date: 2011-04-19 22:18:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 9:21 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> A quick review of the open items list suggests that we have three main
> areas that need attention before we can declare ourselves ready for
> beta.
>
> In no particular order:
>
> 1. There are a bunch of small, outstanding SSI patches.
> 2. Bugs - plural - related to pg_upgrade & typed tables.
> 3. Assorted collation issues.

Since we're targeting code freeze for beta1 for approximately now + 1
week, it's probably about time to take stock of where we are.

1. All of the SSI patches have been dealt with.
2. The typed tables stuff vs. pg_upgrade still needs work. I would be
just as happy if Tom or Peter wanted to fix this, mostly for fear of
getting flak over the details of the fixes, but if not I will do it.
3. The collation issues that have been discussed on-list have, I
*think*, mostly been dealt with. But maybe there are some broken
things that haven't been discussed yet?

New things:

- There is an outstanding bug-fix patch for PL/python tracebacks,
proof that no patch is too small to require multiple rounds of bug
fixing.
- There are some minor infelicities in the handling of permissions for
foreign tables. Since I committed a chunk of that stuff, I think it
probably falls to me to clean this up, unless someone else wants to
volunteer.

Thoughts?

--
Robert Haas