Re: [PERFORM] [PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move

From: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Klemme <shortcutter(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] [PERFORMANCE] expanding to SAN: which portion best to move
Date: 2011-06-09 11:43:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Robert Klemme
<shortcutter(at)googlemail(dot)com>wrote:

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> Separating index and tables might not be a totally good idea
> generally. Richard Foote has an excellent article about Oracle but I
> assume at least a few things do apply to PostgreSQL as well - it's at
> least worth as something to check PostgreSQL's access patterns
> against:
>

> http://richardfoote.wordpress.com/2008/04/16/separate-indexes-from-tables-some-thoughts-part-i-everything-in-its-right-place/
>
> I would probably rather try to separate data by the nature and
> frequency of accesses. One reasonable separation would be to leave
> all frequently accessed tables *and* their indexes on local RAID and
> moving less frequently accessed data to the SAN. This separation
> could be easily identified if you have separate tables for current and
> historic data.
>
> Well, after reading your article i have been reading some materail about it
on the internet, stating that separating indexes from data for performance
benefits is a myth.
I found your comment "So then a single query will only ever access one of
both at a time." very smart (no sarcasm there).
I also found a thread<http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:901906930328>on
AskTom that said mainly "the goal is to achieve even io." (that makes
absolute sense)

In my situation, where i need extra space on a SAN, it seems logical to
separate the tables from the indexes, to achieve just that: roughly even
IO.. (put tables on san, leave indexes on raid10 cluster)
Or am i being silly?

Cheers,

WBL
--
"Patriotism is the conviction that your country is superior to all others
because you were born in it." -- George Bernard Shaw