Re: Granting privileges on all tables,sequences , views, procedures

From: Christopher Opena <counterveil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Adarsh Sharma <adarsh(dot)sharma(at)orkash(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Granting privileges on all tables,sequences , views, procedures
Date: 2011-05-17 07:00:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Per 8.0 documentation, in order to ALTER a table (including rename), you
have to be the owner of a table:

"You must own the table to use ALTER TABLE; except for ALTER TABLE OWNER,
which may only be executed by a superuser."
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-altertable.html

If you want to grant ownership of every table in a database to a specific
user, you should be able to:

SELECT exec('alter table '||table_name||' OWNER TO {user}') FROM
information_schema.tables WHERE table_schema='{schema}'

{user} = the user you want to grant to (looks like 'neha' in your case)
{schema} = schema search path for your database (probably 'public' if you
haven't changed it)

HTH,
-Chris.