Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Kulovits <kulovits(at)emarsys(dot)com>
Subject: Re: shameless behavior of EDB ...
Date: 2011-05-12 15:55:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> However, Cybertec's position here is still correct, if EDB's map includes
> data derived from their http://www.cybertec.at/en/postgresql_customers  (I
> didn't see it before it went away)  That content is protected even in the US
> anyway, despite not having an explicit notice or copyright registration.

My (probably incorrect) understanding was that implicit copyright only
applies to anything that can be considered artistic - eg. code that's
been written, or creative text or images, but not for example, simple
lists of names.

Similar to those arguments about header files that describe standards
compliant APIs being non-copyrightable, because they are non-artistic,
statements of fact.

But, I'm probably wrong - I'm not a lawyer, nor am I part of our web
team. I'm just the guy that takes all the flak.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company