Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unlogged tables, persistent kind
Date: 2011-04-25 12:45:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Leonardo Francalanci <m_lists(at)yahoo(dot)it> wrote:
> The only data we can't rebuild it's the heap. So what about an option for UNlogged indexes on a LOGged table? It would always preserve data, and it would 'only' cost a rebuilding of the indexes in case of an unclean shutdown. I think it would give a boost in performance for all those cases where the IO (especially random IO) is caused by the indexes, and it doesn't look too complicated (but maybe I'm missing something).

+1.

> I proposed the unlogged to logged patch (BTW has anyone given a look at it?) because we partition data based on a timestamp, and we can risk loosing the last N minutes of data, but after N minutes we want to know data will always be there, so we would like to set a partition table to 'logged'.

That approach is something I had also given some thought to, and I'm
glad to hear that people are thinking about doing it in the real
world. I'm planning to look at your patch, but I haven't gotten to it
yet, because I'm giving priority to anything that must be done to get
9.1beta1 out the door.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company