Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-31 03:08:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 6:52 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>  The number of people reading and replying to
> emails on pgsql-bugs is already insufficient, perhaps because of the
> (incorrect) perception that Tom does or will fix everything and no one
> else needs to care.  So anything that makes it harder for people to
> follow along and participate is a non-starter IMV.

Actually I think most of our bugs don't come in from pgsql-bugs. I
think we want to add other bugs that come up from discussions on
-hackers or -general which for whatever reason don't get immediately
fixed. The important thing about a bug tracker is that it has all the
bugs (at least all the ones you intend to fix) so they don't get
forgotten about. Keeping a single list takes the stress off
individuals trying to remember what needs to get done.

I'm actually not nearly so concerned as other people that it contain
all the detailed discussion of the bug -- we can always search for the
bug# on the list or follow links on the bug tracker.

Fwiw it is pretty nice to be able to include a "Closes: #1001" in the
commit and have that close the bug and associate the commit to the
commit as soon as it's pushed. Anything to make keeping things clean
and up to date as simple and low-overhead as possible.

--
greg