Re: BUG #6010: booting problem

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: alex <alexandr(dot)kasian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6010: booting problem
Date: 2011-05-12 20:23:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:59 AM, alex <alexandr(dot)kasian(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      6010
> Logged by:          alex
> Email address:      alexandr(dot)kasian(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1 beta1
> Operating system:   snow leopard
> Details:
>
> after changing sysctl.conf values and rebooting (i ve used values in readme
> file), my permissions changed and now i cant get into my ~/Library folder
> and all my settings for applications, my mail, other things which is saved
> in this folder - gone (not accessible)! when i rebooted again, nothing new
> happened. it is very frustrating that your simple installation steps can be
> so dangerous. what do i have to do now? fuck.

Sorry you're having trouble. I have no idea how editing sysctl.conf
and rebooting could change the permissions on your ~/Library folder or
remove any of your data. Improving things so that sysctl.conf is less
likely to require alteration is on our radar screen, but changing that
file is not normally a dangerous operation. I am not sure what went
wrong for you.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company