Re: marking old branches as no longer maintained

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: marking old branches as no longer maintained
Date: 2011-06-28 19:02:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 20:38, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> On 06/28/2011 01:54 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 19:46, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>  wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd like to add a feature to the buildfarm that automatically picks up
>>> any
>>> new branch and automatically stops building any branch we're not
>>> maintaining
>>> any more. To do the latter, I need some way for the client to detect that
>>> we
>>> are or aren't interested in a branch. What I'd like to do is add a file
>>> the old back branches (say from 7.4 to 8.1 currently - I can grandfather
>>> the
>>> rest) called "end-of-life-reached" or some such, with some appropriate
>>> text.
>>> As a branch reaches its end of life, i.e. right before the last release
>>> we
>>> make, we should add that file to the branch.
>>
>> Does this need to be driven out of the main tree? Couldn't you just
>> have a "blacklist" in the buildfarm code or site? (disclaimer: I
>> haven't looked at how it works so that may be a completely useless
>> idea..)
>

> Not very easily, mainly because of difficulties with MinGW SDK perl.
> Building it into the code would defeat the purpose.

Drat.

> If it's contentious I won't bother. We've managed OK for years, and can go
> on managing as we are.

If we can find a good way to do it, I think having BF animals
automatically picking up new branches is a very good thing to have. So
don't give up so easily :D If adding a more or less random file to
back branches is the only way to do it, I'm for doing that - I'd just
like to find some method that feels cleaner. But maybe I'm just
bikeshedding for no real use here.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/