Re: Range Types, constructors, and the type system

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Cc: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Range Types, constructors, and the type system
Date: 2011-06-29 12:52:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
> It's still not out of the question, but I thought that the intermediate
> type would be a less-intrusive alternative (and Robert seemed concerned
> about how intrusive it was).

I'm no great fan of our existing type system, and I'm not opposed to
trying to improve it. However, I'm a bit wary of the theory that we
can just tweak X, Y, or Z and then everything will go more smoothly
for range types. I fear that there will be knock-on consequences that
we'll spend a lot of time either (a) arguing about or (b) fixing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company