Re: FWD: fastlock+lazyvzid patch performance

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: karavelov(at)mail(dot)bg
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FWD: fastlock+lazyvzid patch performance
Date: 2011-06-24 19:54:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 3:31 PM, <karavelov(at)mail(dot)bg> wrote:
> I post this results because they somehow contradict with previous results
> posted on the list. In
> my case the patches does not only improve peak performance but also improve
> the performance
> under load - without patches the performance with 256 clients is 53% of the
> peak performance
> that is obtained with 8 clients, with patches the performance with 256
> client is 79% of the peak
> with 8 clients.

I think this is strongly related to core count. The spinlock
contention problems don't become really bad until you get up above 32
CPUs... at least from what I can tell so far.

So I'm not surprised it was just a straight win on your machine... but
thanks for verifying. It's helpful to have more data points.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company