Pg Events at OSCON

From: gabrielle <gorthx(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Pg Events at OSCON
Date: 2011-04-18 23:10:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Over the past few years, we've held 3 events/activities associated
with OSCON week:

1. PgDay (joint venture with PDXPUG)
2. BoF session
3. Pg Booth in exhibit hall

Here is the current status of this year's events:

1. Planning is in place for a PgDay on July 24, 2011, the Sunday before OSCON.

We're in the process of lining up speakers and securing a party venue.
This year marks PDXPUG's fifth anniversary, so we have an extra
reason to celebrate. A formal announcement will come out later this
week.

2. Do we want to do a BoF session this year?

I'll handle requesting space for that, if so. Anybody want to offer
to give a presentation, before I start drafting ya? ;)

3. I requested an exhibitor booth; we are on the wait list again this year.

Exhibit hall hours are the same as last year:
Set up Tuesday afternoon/evening
Wed 10:00 - 4:30
Thu 10:00 - 5:00
Teardown Thursday evening

- Here is the wrap-up report from last year:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2010-07/msg00046.php

Couple of things about the booth, but keep in mind we are on the wait
list & there's no guarantee we'll get in, so these are all "ifs" right
now. (I just want to be prepared.)

- It is going to cost us money to keep our booth in the style to which
we have become accustomed; OSCON no longer provides free
power/internet for the OpenSource (now known as "dot org") booths.
Last year it was Power $90, Internet $450 (:choke:). We got by on
only power last year with no complaints.

- If we do a booth, can we get special t-shirts for booth staff again?
People volunteered for a booth shift just to get those shirts.

- It would be nice to have a new marketing blurb; we've been using
this one: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Marketing_Blurbs for a few
years now. I know there are much better writers than I on this list.

- I need an assistant booth wrangler this year. Duties are: a) help
solicit volunteers for booth staff and b) take care of any details
that crop up during June, as I will be unavailable then. Any takers?

Thanks!

gabrielle