Streaming replication status and fail over questions

From: Michael Holt <michael(at)aers(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Streaming replication status and fail over questions
Date: 2011-06-03 18:07:15
Lists: pgsql-admin

I'm investigating moving from slony to streaming replication as we plan some
upgrades from 8.x versions of postgres to 9. I've managed to get it working
but there's a couple questions I've been unable to find answers to so far.

1) I've seen things about using pg_current_xlog_location(),
pg_last_xlog_replay_location(), pg_last_xlog_receive_location() to check
replication status, but how can this tell me either the time lag or actual
query lag? Do I need to wait for 9.1 and it's replication monitoring
features?

2) If I have a master to multi-slave setup and need to fail over, is there
anyway for slaves to detect the new master? Without this it seems like fail
over could be pretty messy.

3) Finally just wanted to confirm that SR allows only for replication of an
entire server.

--
*Michael Holt*, *Database Administrator* | TERAPEAK
2307-4464 Markham Street, Victoria, BC, CANADA V8Z 7X8