Re: picking a filesystem

From: Samuel Gendler <sgendler(at)ideasculptor(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: picking a filesystem
Date: 2011-05-31 17:58:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> So if you're running a RHEL5.4 or RHEL5.5 system, are you basically
> stuck with ext3? I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly, but ISTM
> that you've been uncomfortable with BOTH ext4 and XFS prior to RHEL6;
> but OK with both beginning with RHEL6.
>
> Also, any tips on mount options for XFS/ext4/ext3?

Greg's book has a whole chapter that goes through the pros and cons of each
type of fs and offers suggestions for configuring most of them for postgres.
I haven't actually read the chapter in detail yet, so I won't try to
summarize its content here. It appeared to be pretty comprehensive during my
quick scan of the chapter