data compression in protocol?

From: Szymon Guz <mabewlun(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: postgresql Forums <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: data compression in protocol?
Date: 2011-06-22 08:38:58
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
I've got a lot of databases, unfortunately applications need to get a lot of
data (a lot of means too much).
The whole request takes about 3s, while pure explain analyze only 250ms.
The amount of downloaded data cannot be changed.

I'm just wondering if I can do anything about that.
Maybe there is some possibility of compressing the data in the protocol?
Maybe some other way?

regards
Szymon