Re: Dump / restore question

From: Garo Hussenjian <garo(at)xapnet(dot)com>
To: Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Dump / restore question
Date: 2002-12-31 06:48:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Update:

This time I used:

"pg_dump -F t -d db_name -f dump_file.tar"

I no longer get the archiver error, but when restoring with:

"pg_restore -r -x -v -F t -d db_name -f dump_file.tar"

The process has been running for a half hour but barely (0.0 %CPU 0.0 %MEM
0:00.01 TIME)... Shouldn't there be more activity? If I log into the
database using psql, there are no relations showing.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Garo.

on 12/30/02 9:44 PM, Garo Hussenjian at garo(at)xapnet(dot)com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Happy New Year's Eve Eve!
>
> I am curious if anyone knows offhand how to dump/restore a database without
> indexes and how to dump/restore just the indexes without the database...
>
> I am asking because it is taking many hours to restore a 115 Meg dump file
> and I have to do it again tomorrow, while not having so many hours to do it!
> I have only primary key constraints and several indexes, but no foreign key
> constraints, so I'm mainly concerned with the indexes.
>
> I tried "pg_restore --rearrange dump_file" but I get the error:
>
> pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive
>
> Is this because I did not dump with the -F (format) option? Do I need to use
> "pg_dump -F t" for tar format?
>
> Any help will greatly improve my chances of enjoying the New Year
> celebration having completed this task a little sooner!
>
> Garo.
>
> on 10/27/02 2:13 PM, Bruno Wolff III at bruno(at)wolff(dot)to wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 13:49:27 -0800,
>> Garo Hussenjian <garo(at)xapnet(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a dump file from "pg_dump dbname > dump_file" of about 115 Mb that
>>> takes a few seconds to create and takes several hours to restore using "psql
>>> dbname < dump_file".
>>>
>>> I can't imagine I'm doing this correctly! What am I missing?
>>
>> Enforcing constraints and updating indexes can take a lot of time.
>>
>> You might get a significant speed up by not creating indexes or enforcing
>> constraints (foreign keys probably being the bigest worry) until after
>> the data gets loaded.

>> TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>> (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo(at)postgresql(dot)org)
>>

> =-=-==-=-=-==
>
> Xapnet Internet Solutions
> 1501 Powell St., Suite N
> Emeryville, CA 94608