Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by Fink?

From: Mat Rice <matrice(at)usa(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by Fink?
Date: 2002-12-15 15:19:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have checked with the Fink lists, to no avail. So I thought I'd try here.

I have just installed the latest postgreSQL from the unstable tree in Fink.
The info file says:

"You can start the PostgreSQL server manually using 'postmaster' as pgsql
(since pgsql has a shell of /dev/null by default, you must run it as sudo -u
pgsql postmaster) or you can run 'daemonic enable postgresql' as root to
create a StartupItem for it"

However when I try that, I get:

mat% sudo daemonic enable postgresql
No matching service found for "postgresql", skipping.

mat% sudo -u pgsql postmaster
postmaster does not know where to find the database system data.
You must specify the directory that contains the database system
either by specifying the -D invocation option or by setting the
PGDATA environment variable.

So then I try:

mat% sudo -u pgsql postmaster -D /Volumes/Files/sw/bin
FATAL 1: data directory /Volumes/Files/sw/bin has group or world access;
permissions should be u=rwx (0700)

Now I'm a little leery of changing permissions on that directory as
everything else seems to be working fine with it the way it is.

I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing, does anybody have my clue?

Thanks,

Mat

Latest Fink via CVS
postgreSQL 7.2.3