Re: Transaction including two web page + timer

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-php <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Transaction including two web page + timer
Date: 2002-11-15 09:40:56
Lists: pgsql-php

On 10/11/02 2:29 pm, "brew(at)theMode(dot)com" <brew(at)theMode(dot)com> wrote:

>>> Good idea. One problem is that HTML is a stateless protocol. How can I
>>> let application to hold the whole contents of the first page and second
>>> page?
>>
>> PHP provides for session tracking. Somehow you have to be tying the two
>> web requests together. You could store the information from the first
>> request as a file or in a table in the database that holds the page 1
>> requests temporarily.
>
> Look into session variables, they are stored on the web server and
> available to all the following instances of PHP scripts from each
> particular user. It is set up with one line of code at the top of each
> script and then you can pass the variables onto the following scripts, no
> need to worry about the the details of file or database calls for the
> temporary info, it's built into PHP.

I am new to PHP, but I am trying to set up a system where a user logs in on
one page and then does various database activities on subsequent pages. Each
user will have their own username and password on the database.

If I was to store the username and password as session variables... Is this
generally considered a good idea... Or is it a security risk?

Thanks for any advice

adam

believed to be clean.