Info on explain output

From: Adam Witney <awitney(at)sghms(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Info on explain output
Date: 2002-10-10 15:41:43
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I am trying to optimise a complex query adding explicit joins and creating
indices. I am going through the EXPLAIN output (~70 lines) but am fairly new
at reading these.

Are there any good rules of thumb of things one should be looking out for in
EXPLAIN output? ie <blah> means that an index would be good here etc

I have read through the docs for EXPLAIN, but I was wondering if there were
any more detailed descriptions or docs on the subject.

Thanks for any help

adam

believed to be clean.