Re: Fw: Sub SELECTS

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres-PHP <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fw: Sub SELECTS
Date: 2002-09-25 15:08:46
Lists: pgsql-php

on 9/25/02 8:51 AM, waruna(at)nirmani(dot)com purportedly said:

I have a select query with 2 sub selects.
When I run that query CPU usage goes to 98% for postgres.
Does sub selects eat more resources and slower the queries?
Is there any alternatives to sub selects?

That high CPU usage seems odd. I wouldn't think that even extremely complex
queries would effect CPU that much, unless there are other factors such as
low memory that would contribute.

If any case, if you post the query and table schemas we might be able to
make suggestions. Sub-selects are generally fairly efficient unless the
results from the sub-selects are particularly large. Postgres may not be
able to use indexes on sub-select results, I am not sure.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.