Re: Use of Serial type

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres-PHP <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Use of Serial type
Date: 2002-09-18 19:35:32
Lists: pgsql-php

on 9/18/02 12:44 PM, jrbeckstrom(at)voyager(dot)net purportedly said:

> Using php, I create a table with a SERIAL field. In the same
> script, the last thing I do is a COPY ... FROM ... USING DELIMITERS...to
> load data I have outputted from another system into a text delimited
> file. I didn't get the autoincrementing of the serial field to work, so
> I modified my output-from-another-system program to "manually" set the
> serial field value. That worked. However, it does not seem to have
> done a default SETVAL. Do I do a "manual" SETVAL of 1 greater than the
> highest value from the input text file, or am I missing something in the
> create and copy process?

I am not certain about the behavior of COPY, but with an INSERT the serial
trigger will not click if you are inserting a value into the serial field.
Nor will it be updated. This behavior may have changed since I last
experienced it, but that's my recollection. This may be the same for COPY.
So you probably have to manually update the serial counter.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.