Re: submitting varchar string from form / escape characters

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres-PHP <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: submitting varchar string from form / escape characters
Date: 2002-09-10 18:42:46
Lists: pgsql-php

on 9/10/02 10:30 AM, hellau(at)20min(dot)ch purportedly said:

> I am using pgsql with php and have the following
> problem:
> I have a form which lets the user dynamically select a
> table, after this query he gets a list of possible
> attributes, after selecting one he can do a subquery
> and select a second attribute, and an operator, and a
> value. after this I put the final sql query string
> together like:
> $sql = "SELECT $attribute FROM $table WHERE $attribute2
> $operator $value";
> this string is now submitted to another php document
> doing the query and tabing the results out. if $value
> is a number, everything works fine, but if $value is a
> string with several words, commatas and/or spaces
> inside, I get an error message. when I try to do
> something like "'".$value."'" I always get: ERROR:
> parser: parse error at or near "\"
>
> I tryed all possibilities of escape characters I could
> think of. If somebody knows what I am missing, help
> would be apreciated.

Always use quotes regardless of a column value (numeric vs string), e.g.
'$value'. Postgres is smart enough to convert quoted numbers to numeric
values. I am not sure if there is overhead associated with this, but the
only other option is to analyze the column type and act accordingly.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.