Re: [GENERAL] Access 'field too long' error

From: Randall Perry <rgp(at)systame(dot)com>
To: "Henshall, Stuart - WCP" <SHenshall(at)westcountrypublications(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Access 'field too long' error
Date: 2002-09-02 15:37:52
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-odbc

Here's my view definition:

View "v_cust_rev_by_month"
Column | Type | Modifiers
---------------+-----------------------+-----------
id | integer |
cust_code | character varying(25) |
date | date |
month | text |
total_uploads | integer |
revenues | numeric |
balance | numeric |

In testing, if I create a new table from this view and don't include the
numeric fields, it links to access ok.

If include either of the numeric fields I get the 'field is too long' error.

If I link the original table the view is derived from (the view is 3 steps
removed from the original because it calls on views that call on views) I
don't get the error.

Here's the original table def. The revenues and balance fields above are
derived from the price and amount fields.

Column | Type | Modifiers
------------+------------------------+--------------------------------------
--------------
id | integer | not null default
nextval('"invoice_id_seq"'::text)
cust_code | character varying(25) | not null
inv_no | character varying(15) | not null
date | date | not null
due | date | not null
no_of_dist | integer | not null
quantity | numeric(7,2) | not null
descript | character varying(300) | not null
price | numeric(7,2) | not null
amount | numeric(7,2) | not null
x_period | integer | not null
x_no | integer | not null

I can use ADO to grab the view data, but I need the recordset for a report
-- and you can't set a report's recordset to an ADO source. Bummer.