Bigint in sequences

From: Garo Hussenjian <garo(at)xapnet(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Bigint in sequences
Date: 2002-08-31 06:00:18
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm using pg_dump to port a database from one server to another, and I've
found that the max_value of several sequences are 9223372036854775807 (type
bigint), but most of the sequences' max_values are 2147483647 (also bigint,
but not so big...). The larger value is causing errors when I try to import
the database.

Does this have to do with the OS or the postgres version? The source
database is version 7.2.1, and the destination is 7.1.3. Did 7.2 raise the
upper limit of bigint?

The postgres docs state:

"
The bigint type may not function correctly on all platforms, since it relies
on compiler support for eight-byte integers. On a machine without such
support, bigint acts the same as integer (but still takes up eight bytes of
storage). However, we are not aware of any reasonable platform where this is
actually the case.
"

I'm not sure whether this applies to 7.1.3. My compiler is gcc 2.95, on
kernel 2.4.17... This seems "reasonable" enough... :)

Thanks,
Garo

Xapnet Internet Solutions
1501 Powell St., Suite N