Re: White paper on very big databases

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: White paper on very big databases
Date: 2009-02-21 04:18:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Feb 4, 2009, at 3:20 AM, Jean-Paul Argudo wrote:
> The study has to be based on real usecases, so, the first thing is
> that
> every usecase may become of public knowledge. So I don't want someone
> telling me "we have 5 Tb here, we do it this way.. but shhh don't tell
> my name". This will not work, because detractors may say everything in
> the study is wrong, false and pro-PostgreSQL...

Our largest database is currently at 850GB (yeah, not quite 1TB ;P),
but it's also OLTP. It's been a *long* time since I've looked, but
I'm pretty sure it's doing on the order of 100TPS. I also rather
doubt that the company would have an issue doing a case study.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org