Re: Using escape strings in an insert statement.

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using escape strings in an insert statement.
Date: 2007-07-02 23:11:09
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Jul 2, 2007, at 17:45 , Paul Lambert wrote:

> tester=# insert into testing (test_text) values ('abcE'\\'123');

This should be
INSERT INTO testing (test_text) values (E'abc\123');

> The help itself (ch 4.1.2.1) tells me to use double backslash
> "Thus, to include a backslash character, write two backslashes (\\). "

Note that the String Constants section (4.1.2.1) says put the E
"before the opening single quote".

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-syntax-
lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-CONSTANTS

> An escape string constant is specified by writing the letter E
> (upper or lower case) just before the opening single quote, e.g.
> E'foo'.

Also be sure to read the Caution section.

Using \ as an escape character is the old non-standard PostgreSQL
escape syntax that the WARNING (above) is, uh, warning you about.
With standard_conforming_strings on (i.e., follow the SQL spec), the
backslash is just a backslash character.

> Which one is the correct syntax and how can I make it not return
> anything other than a successful insert?

Depends on the setting of standard_conforming_strings.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net