Java as PG Procedural Language

From: tom dyson <tom(at)torchbox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Java as PG Procedural Language
Date: 2002-04-16 13:51:45
Lists: pgsql-general

I'd like to write a function that parses XML (which is stored in a table
column), returning element values as part of the recordset. For example:

SELECT id, title, XML2Columns(article_xml)
FROM mytable

I don't have a hope of writing something like this in C or Perl, but I could
do it in Java, using Xerces. Has anyone successfully used Java as a
Procedural Language for PostGreSQL? Or is it possible that a function like
this exists already?

Many thanks

Tom
tom dyson