Postgres/PHP, Apache child processes dying

From: Steve Lane <slane(at)fmpro(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres/PHP, Apache child processes dying
Date: 2002-04-03 16:10:08
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello all:

Been seeing a worsening problem on a number of my servers lately. I'm using
postgres as a backend to PHP applications, hosted on Apache. At one
particular point in the application (always in the web-side login, which is
probably significant), my web browser returns a "could not connect" error.

Scanning the logs, I find this in the postmaster log:

pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection

And this in the Apache error log:

[Wed Feb 20 21:29:52 2002] [notice] child pid 18595 exit signal Segmentation
fault (11)

There seem to be a lot of reasons why child processes die in this way in
Apache. Does anyone know of any specific to postgres/PHP?

Thanks,

steve