Re: VACUUM ANALYZE extremely slow

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: VACUUM ANALYZE extremely slow
Date: 2007-06-19 02:22:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jun 17, 2007, at 2:15 PM, Sergei Shelukhin wrote:

> This is my first (and, by the love of the God, last) project w/pgsql
> and everything but the simplest selects is so slow I want to cry.
> This is especially bad with vacuum analyze - it takes several hours
> for a database of mere 15 Gb on a fast double-core server w/2Gb of RAM
> and virtually no workload at the moment. Maintenance work mem is set
> to 512 Mb.
>
> Is there any way to speed up ANALYZE? Without it all the queries run
> so slow that I want to cry after a couple of hours of operation and
> with it system has to go down for hours per day and that is
> unacceptable.

There's no need to stop the database to run vacuum or analyze (heck,
with autovacuum in modern versions of postgresql you can get away
without running them at all, sometimes).

I suspect you're doing the wrong thing (perhaps running vacuum full,
rather than plain vacuum). Can you tell us what version of postgresql
you're running and how you're vacuuming it (what commands you're
running)?

Cheers,
Steve