Referential Integrity Violation not triggered

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Referential Integrity Violation not triggered
Date: 2001-10-22 20:53:37
Lists: pgsql-general

I transferred a db from one machine (pg 7.0.3) to another machine (7.1.3),
by dumping data only as proper insert strings, and on the new system
creating the database and schema. When uploading the data to the new clean
database, the data for table "A" failed to insert due to an additional
column that was not in the schema. The funny part is, that 90% of the other
tables refer to this table as a foreign key, but all of the data for those
tables inserted without a referential integrity violation. I thought maybe
the foreign key checks didn't enable for some reason, but I tested with
bogus inserts and everything seems to be working as expected.

Is this an "undocumented feature"?

Also, is there a way to have postgres show the installed triggers?

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.