Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rules: A Modest Proposal
Date: 2009-10-05 00:16:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:57 PM, David Fetter wrote:

> It's less about like or dislike and more about facing up to the
> reality that we've got a major legacy foot-gun left over from the
> experimentation of the Berkeley days.

I think you're going to need to be a bit more concrete than that. In
what way is it a foot-gun? What examples can you provide? What,
exactly, are the issues?

Perhaps, given concrete examples of issues with RULEs, we could look
at addressing those problems rather than throwing out the baby (let
alone put the baby in concrete -- sorry, the metaphors are getting
away from me).

Best,

David