Re: error codes when running pg_dumpall from a perl

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: error codes when running pg_dumpall from a perl
Date: 2001-10-15 18:57:39
Lists: pgsql-general

backticks return STDOUT, not a status condition. Use system() instead:
system( "pg_dumpall -o |bzip2 -z -c > $os_bkup_loc/byt_pgdump_full.bz2"
) and warn "Error while running: $! \n";

You must use "and" because system() returns 0 on success, or an error code
on failure. Or you can check $?.

Caveat programmor: an error status would only be returned if the initial
shell returns an error, and broken pipes do not return errors

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.