Re: Using Postgresql-7.0.1 in multiple clients

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using Postgresql-7.0.1 in multiple clients
Date: 2001-10-02 17:07:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Typically you won't get that error until you have about 32 concurrent
backends (default configuration). There are many possibilities:
1) backends are being spawned but not reaped. When this problem starts
happening have you checked to see how many postgres processes are running?
2) There aren't enough system resources to launch additional backends
3) What is your -N value when invoking postmaster? Do you have a suitable -B
value (twice or more -N)
4) Is postgres logging anything to syslog?

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.