Re: Column 'CHECK' Constraint: bug or ?

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column 'CHECK' Constraint: bug or ?
Date: 2001-09-20 05:24:03
Lists: pgsql-general

> From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
> Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 00:02:31 -0400
>> Perhaps my understanding of column vs table constraints is incomplete
>> but this doesn't seem to be proper behavior,
>
> Why not? A constraint is a constraint, it should be valid whenever one
> checks it.

The question is, should Postgres be checking it at all? I suppose one only
encounters this as a problem when they have a date-sensitive constraint
(based on CURRENT_DATE). I can't imagine that this is an uncommon need. Of
course, a trigger could be created to handle this, but it seems more
straightforward to use a CHECK constraint, since that's what it is for,
after all.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.