Column 'CHECK' Constraint: bug or ?

From: Keary Suska <hierophant(at)pcisys(dot)net>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Column 'CHECK' Constraint: bug or ?
Date: 2001-09-20 02:33:59
Lists: pgsql-general

It appears that Postgres checks column CHECK constraints when performing an
update regardless of whether the particular column is being updated. Perhaps
my understanding of column vs table constraints is incomplete but this
doesn't seem to be proper behavior, and I can't find it documented anywhere.

Can someone shed some light on this and whether I need to submit a bug
report?

PG v.7.0.3/Solaris-Sparc

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.