ODBC interface question

From: Jim Dickenson <dickenson(at)cfmc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC interface question
Date: 2001-09-09 15:40:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Your name: Jim Dickenson
Your email address: dickenson@ cfmc.com

System Configuration
---------------------
Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)Intel Pentium

Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF): Red Hat Linux 7.1

PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0): PostgreSQL-7.0.3

Compiler used (example: gcc 2.8.0): gcc 2.96

When I call SQLDescribeCol() for a column that has been defined as
decimal(10,3) or numeric(10,3), as an example, I would expect
the values in ColumnSizePtr and DecimalDigitsPtr to be 10 and 3,
not 655363 and 0. Additionally I would expect DataTypePtr to be 2
and not 12.

I need to be able to find an accurate description for the attributes
of each column returned for a select statement. It seems to me that
SQLDescribeCol() should do that.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem. Please try to provide a
Create a table in psql. Write an application that opens the database
containing the table. Call SQLPrepare with "select * from tabname". Call
SQLDescribeCol() to get the resulting meta data.

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:
It seems to me that in order for ODBC to work with different data sources
all ODBC drivers need to conform to a standard. If one driver returns one
set of values and another driver returns another set of values, for what I
think is the same basic table column, then the point of ODBC to be data
source neutral is lost.