Re: Memory exhausted errors

From: Chris Ruprecht <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Memory exhausted errors
Date: 2001-08-03 00:20:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

Tom,

Thank you so very much for your research! I have broken down the load
procedure into two parts and it's looking great. The run time is sort of
identical (about 3 minutes for today's file) but memory usage stays under 30
MB instead of rising up to ... The old routine is busy running to compare
and it currently sits at 344 MB - major difference (377 MB now). I see a
very slight increase in the 'size' field (under top), about 128 KB every 4
seconds which, maybe, could be attributed to some procedural overhead? It's
not a major issue (any more) - I can live with the system as it is, even if
I load 500'000 records in the future, per client, per day, this will be
workable.

Bruce said something about 'a few months' until 7.2 will become available.
Well, I think I can wait that long. And I guess, I should express my support
and actually buy a CD and Bruce's book. Tom, write a book, and Buy that,
too. ;-).

Best regards,
Chris

on 08/02/2001 16:44, Tom Lane at tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us wrote:

> "Chris Ruprecht" <chrup999(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
>> on a daily basis, I load records from an external source into my database. =

[snip]