Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum

From: "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Date: 2022-03-03 05:08:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> >> If the failsafe kicks in midway through a vacuum, the number indexes_total will not be reset to 0. If INDEX_CLEANUP is turned off, then the value will be 0 at the start of the vacuum.
> >
> > The way that this works with num_index_scans is that we "round up"
> > when there has been non-zero work in lazy_vacuum_all_indexes(), but
> > not if the precheck in lazy_vacuum_all_indexes() fails. That seems
> > like a good model to generalize from here. Note that this makes
> > INDEX_CLEANUP=off affect num_index_scans in much the same way as a
> > VACUUM where the failsafe kicks in very early, during the initial heap
> > pass. That is, if the failsafe kicks in before we reach lazy_vacuum()
> > for the first time (which is not unlikely), or even in the
> > lazy_vacuum_all_indexes() precheck, then num_index_scans will remain
> > at 0, just like INDEX_CLEANUP=off.
> >
> > The actual failsafe WARNING shows num_index_scans, possibly before it
> > gets incremented one last time (by "rounding up"). So it's reasonably
> > clear how this all works from that context (assuming that the
> > autovacuum logging stuff, which reports num_index_scans, outputs a
> > report for a table where the failsafe kicked in).

> I am confused. If failsafe kicks in during the middle of a vacuum, I
> (perhaps naively) would expect indexes_total and indexes_processed to go to
> zero, and I'd expect to no longer see the "vacuuming indexes" and "cleaning
> up indexes" phases. Otherwise, how would I know that we are now skipping
> indexes? Of course, you won't have any historical context about the index
> work done before failsafe kicked in, but IMO it is misleading to still
> include it in the progress view.

After speaking with Nathan offline, the best forward is to reset indexes_total and indexes_processed to 0 after the start of "vacuuming indexes" or "cleaning up indexes" phase.
Also, if failsafe is triggered midway through a vacuum, the values for both indexes_total and indexes_processed is (re)set to 0.

Revision of the patch is attached.

Below is a test that shows the output.

-[ RECORD 1 ]------+------------------
pid | 4360
datid | 5
datname | postgres
relid | 16399
phase | vacuuming indexes
heap_blks_total | 401092
heap_blks_scanned | 211798
heap_blks_vacuumed | 158847
index_vacuum_count | 3
max_dead_tuples | 1747625
num_dead_tuples | 1747366
indexes_total | 8 <<<<--- index_vacuum_count is 3, indexes_total is 8 and indexes_processed so far is 1
indexes_processed | 1

-[ RECORD 1 ]------+--------------
pid | 4360
datid | 5
datname | postgres
relid | 16399
phase | scanning heap
heap_blks_total | 401092
heap_blks_scanned | 234590
heap_blks_vacuumed | 211797
index_vacuum_count | 4
max_dead_tuples | 1747625
num_dead_tuples | 752136
indexes_total | 0 <<<<--- index_vacuum_count is 4 and not in an index phase. indexes_total is 0 and indexes_processed so far is 0
indexes_processed | 0

-[ RECORD 1 ]------+------------------
pid | 4360
datid | 5
datname | postgres
relid | 16399
phase | vacuuming indexes
heap_blks_total | 401092
heap_blks_scanned | 264748
heap_blks_vacuumed | 211797
index_vacuum_count | 4
max_dead_tuples | 1747625
num_dead_tuples | 1747350
indexes_total | 8
indexes_processed | 6 <<<<--- index_vacuum_count is 4, indexes_total is 8 and indexes_processed so far is 6

--
Sami Imseih
Amazon Web Services

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0009-Expose-progress-for-the-vacuuming-indexes-and-cleani.patch application/octet-stream 17.6 KB