Re: Security

From: Jeremy Buchmann <jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com>
To: "Ernesto A(dot) Lira Castro" <lira(at)ver(dot)megared(dot)net(dot)mx>, <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Security
Date: 2001-05-20 21:49:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> I'm trying to set login & passwords to my system with Perl DBI for
> Postgresql, but i want to have a field on my Postgres's database
> that can be type password!! is that possible?? i see only fields types
> (Char, integer, long . . .) i want some password to be encrypted.

You can use MD5 or SHA perl modules to get a digest of the password and then
get the hex representation of the digest and store that in the database as a
char or varchar.

> And where can i get some information for implementing that security on
> my system!

The MD5 and SHA modules are on cpan.org. I only have experience with the
MD5 module, but it's very simple to use, provided you know a little Perl. I
can show you code if you don't understand the examples provided with the
module.

-- Jeremy [jeremy(at)wellsgaming(dot)com]