Query Question

From: Hunter Hillegas <lists(at)lastonepicked(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Query Question
Date: 2001-04-23 21:31:31
Lists: pgsql-general

I have 4 tables: releases, artist_info, categories, and formats.

I am using this query:

SELECT DISTINCT *, categories.category_name as category_name,
categories.rec_num as category, formats.format_name as format_text,
releases.rec_num as release_rec_num, artist_info.name as artist_name FROM
releases, artist_info, formats, categories WHERE upper(releases.title) LIKE
upper('%get%') OR upper(artist_info.name) LIKE upper('%get%') AND
releases.artist_id = artist_info.rec_num AND releases.format =
formats.rec_num AND releases.category = categories.rec_num AND
releases.active_status = true ORDER BY title DESC;

to search and join the tables...

The intent is to search the releases table where title = %face% and the
artist_info table where name = %face% and return only rows that match that.

Somewhere my join is going wrong. The query is returning the results plus a
release titled 'Face to Face' joined to every artist and every format.

Where am I going wrong? It only occurs on searches where both the
releases.title and artist_info.name match the search criteria.

BTW, this is PG7.1 on MacOS X, though I'm sure it doesn't matter.

Hunter